Re: [perl #133809] Perl silently adds a key to hash

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: [perl #133809] Perl silently adds a key to hash
Message ID:
CAHhgV8hk9-uZBymAZcy6ohrRZUuTGg7MAnMXhY3h7_t8np7m4g@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's the right thing because Larry said it was the right thing. Our community depends on this understanding. And we really try to avoid debates like this, Larry made a decision decades ago, and it's not subject to review or change.

Rule 1 stoped being a useful rule when we lost rule 2.

I do think it's possible to make this change. I very much think the
behavior that is being proposed is more intuitive (and tellingly I
haven't seen anyone argue otherwise). IMO there are three questions
that are relevant for deciding whether we should do this.

* What will break?
* What does it cost us in complexity?
* What does it cost us in performance?

None of those questions (or their answers) involve invoking Larry.

Leon