Re: Transition from RT to GitHub -- should "blead" be renamed to"master"?

From:
Deven T. Corzine
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub -- should "blead" be renamed to"master"?
Message ID:
CAFVdu0QU9s=TOp7EbUhtsbmRc-fG1V7EyhOsmnrA5XEBAkjmXw@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019, at 20:07, Deven T. Corzine wrote:
> > I realize that "blead" has been used for many years and is traditional
> for Perl development. At the same time, it's also out of step with typical
> Git conventions and potentially confusing to new developers who might want
> to contribute to Perl.
> >
> > With this move to GitHub, should we consider retiring "blead" as a
> historical anachronism and rename the default branch to "master" as most
> Git users expect, or continue with "blead" to honor tradition?
> >
> > Personally, I do like sticking with tradition -- yet I still tend to
> lean towards renaming to "master" anyhow, to be more consistent with
> expectations of those who aren't steeped in years of Perl tradition. (We
> want to be inviting and accessible for new people, don't we?)
> >
> > Deven
> >

> I don't think we would gain anything from that.

There's no gain for current Perl developers, and for them, changing it
would be a minor nuisance in the short term.  The gain would be to
eliminate a potential source of confusion for new developers interested in
contributing.  They have to *learn* that "blead" means to Perl what
"master" means to Git.  It's the default branch, but people can still get
confused as to what "blead" means and why "master" doesn't exist in the
repo.

> Github's UI fully supports having a different main branch name, so most
> newcommers will probably not even notice that its name is different.
> The name doesn't change anything in the typical pull request workflow.

Of course there's no barriers to continuing to use "blead".  That wasn't
the point.  The question is whether it might be worthwhile to endure the
nuisance of making a change to a more "normal" Git repository with "master"
as the default branch, or do we just keep using "blead" because we're been
using it forever.  That's the path of least resistance, but if we ever want
to change it, now would be an opportune time... or we can just agree to
continue using "blead" for the foreseeable future and let the newbies just
deal with it as they've always had to.

Deven