Transition from RT to GitHub -- should "blead" be renamed to"master"?

From:
Deven T. Corzine
Date:
July 12, 2019 18:06
Subject:
Transition from RT to GitHub -- should "blead" be renamed to"master"?
Message ID:
CAFVdu0TdTk=A_ffvPoUSt_o-zQHkUkmiYTz7UFyw=Wi7_t6BcQ@mail.gmail.com
I realize that "blead" has been used for many years and is traditional for
Perl development.  At the same time, it's also out of step with typical Git
conventions and potentially confusing to new developers who might want to
contribute to Perl.

With this move to GitHub, should we consider retiring "blead" as a
historical anachronism and rename the default branch to "master" as most
Git users expect, or continue with "blead" to honor tradition?

Personally, I do like sticking with tradition -- yet I still tend to lean
towards renaming to "master" anyhow, to be more consistent with
expectations of those who aren't steeped in years of Perl tradition.  (We
want to be inviting and accessible for new people, don't we?)

Deven