Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Deven T. Corzine
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
CAFVdu0Spyp1W5PqWsGzGisY_aL69pZQfu-R_qpFY-JjzJz95yA@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 7:00 AM Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 01:45:28AM +0300, Sawyer X wrote:
>
> > Q: Will all ticket updates be sent to the list as before?
> >
> > A: Only the initial ticket creation will show up on the list. This will
> > give you the ability to monitor only the issues you care about. You can
> > also monitor the whole project on GitHub to get all updates by simply
> > setting watch as you see fit in GitHub.
> >

> > Updates will be received based on monitoring the person chooses or when
> > said person is explicitly mentioned. You may choose to monitor
> > everything (what we call the “firehose mode”), as currently on the p5p
> > mailing list.
>
> Not that I've been active recently, but personally this change is something
> that saddens me. I had always felt that it was useful that the main
> development forum was not decoupled from the nitty-gritty of
>
> 1) actually fixing stuff (ie graft, not just ideas)
> 2) the implications of changes (ie what turned out to break, what it really
>    cost)
>

> Also, it's really useful that mail readers are threaded. (I think RT is
> too).
> It's much easier to follow complex discussions in a threaded view, instead
> of
> a forced-sorted-by-time flat view.

Between this and Jim Keenan's observations about NNTP, it seems there's
value in the "firehose" mode -- could it be kept, perhaps in a new mailing
list/NNTP group?

Also, doesn't "watching" an issue require a GitHub account?  Some people
are philisophically opposed to creating an account -- they would likely
value the firehose too...

Deven