Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Deven T. Corzine
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
CAFVdu0TZnrDhzBFWyMt=2RGLkGyjkqzLGyPx91zkN1gP5zGvFA@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:14 PM Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:08 AM Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:52 AM Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> +1.  I really loathe the most common GitHub workflow where the commit
> >> history consists almost entirely of "Merge pull request #1234 from
> >> somebody/somebranch/about...<cut off>" which is devoid of relevant
> >> content
> >

> > As I mentioned previously, the rebase option for merging PRs is
> available.
>
> Yes, I'm aware it's possible.  Just adding my voice to those saying
> it's important to keep doing things this way.

GitHub allows the repository to be configured to lock down the choices.  It
can be configured to disallow merge commits entirely, and I would highly
recommend doing this.  (Especially since many developers probably hate
and/or fear rebase and would *always* use merge commits if given the
option.)

Administrators could override the block and merge a PR instead of rebasing,
but hopefully this would only be done for a compelling reason.

Deven