Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Deven T. Corzine
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
CAFVdu0QctLHcwXYKyS5mue3A_QE+XnDeUNf9MxNwwint+TSiKA@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 7:00 AM Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 01:45:28AM +0300, Sawyer X wrote:
>
> > A: We believe that GitHub is going to be around for a long time. It has
>
> Which, with hindsight, could not have been said last year. I had no idea
> how much money it was losing until all the news about the sale.

[...]

> Q: What about perl5.git.perl.org?
> >
> > A: It will be made a mirror of https://github.com/Perl/perl5and may be
> > retired at a future date based on usage.

In my opinion, there should *always* be a "canonical" mirror of the main
GitHub repository which is kept as current as possible, regardless of how
little it might be used.  This would serve as an "insurance policy" against
catastrophic loss, whether that's an unfathomable failure of GitHub's
systems (highly unlikely), a total and complete unexpected shutdown as a
result of a business decision (more plausible, if it's losing money, but
hopefully unlikely) or GitHub suddenly "turning evil" in some fashion
(seems unlikely at the moment, but very possible if Microsoft were to do
another 180 on Open Source/Linux/etc.) -- none of these things seem (at
least to me) to be particularly likely to happen, but it's still better not
to have all our eggs in one basket...

Of course, even without a canonical mirror, there would still be many
developers with copies of the full repository simply due to git's design,
so that's good.

Deven