Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub
Message ID:
20190712124619.12995.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 7/12/19 8:02 AM, paul.marquess via perl5-porters wrote:

> Will rt.cpan.org transition as well?

I haven't seen any changes proposed to rt.cpan.org.  It's out of scope
for Perl 5 Porters.  And I certainly hope that no change is proposed.

The virtue of rt.cpan.org is that all CPAN contributors get an issue
tracker for free.   They can, if they wish, change the location at which
a distro's issues are tracked to another location, e.g., github.com.

But most CPAN distros still have issues tracked on rt.cpan.org. -- as I
can testify from recent personal experience.  Yesterday, as part of
ongoing work on the CPAN-River-3000 project, I had to determine why 94
different CPAN distros had failed to install against perl-5.31.0.  That
entailed going to the issue trackers for their distros.  Of 46 distros
where I had to make a notation as to the issue tracker location, 40 were
rt.cpan.org and only 6 were github.com.

That being said, the perl.org sysadmins have been in a "shut down
services" mode of late -- e.g., search.cpan.org -- so I'm keeping my
fingers crossed.

> Apologies in advance if this has been called out already.
>
> Paul

[snip]

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan