RE: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub

From:
paul.marquess via perl5-porters
Date:
RE: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub
Message ID:
01ec01d538a9$a890ad60$f9b20820$@ntlworld.com

Will rt.cpan.org transition as well?

Apologies in advance if this has been called out already.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: hv@crypt.org <hv@crypt.org>
Sent: 05 July 2019 8:49 AM
To: Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com>
Cc: perl5-porters@perl.org; hv@crypt.org
Subject: Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub

Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
:For this reason, we wish to move all Perl 5 RT tickets (open and closed)
:over to https://github.com/Perl/perl5.
:
:As part of this work, we're moving our Perl 5 Git hosting to GitHub. Any
:necessary customizations, as well as the correct permissions, will be
:moved there as well. This work will include regular backups of the
:repository and issues to prevent any loss during and after the transition.

I'm not familiar with the full capabilities of github, so here are some
questions:

- how will someone filing an issue be encouraged to include perl version
information?

- where will security issues go, how will they get there, from whom will
they be secure?

- where will git branches for security issues go, from whom will they be
secure?

- in particular, at a github corporate/infrastructure level, who will have
access to information relating to perl security issues?

Also, if we start to accept (or even encourage) patch submission by means of
pull request, I imagine github provides a handy merge button that would
merge the branch to blead without rebasing it over blead.

Though I'm aware there are strongly held opinions on both sides of this
issue, I hope we won't start allowing such non-linear merges: IIRC we saw a
bit of havoc the last time one was done (manually) in blead, and in various
work projects I've found such merges to be a regular and significant source
of bugs, and also substantially to impede the ability to discover historic
information when you need it (eg by bisection).

Hugo