Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
=?utf-8?Q?Ask_Bj=C3=B8rn_Hansen?=
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
C43F68FE-3C50-4A82-BD1A-E2A629AC384A@perl.org

On 7/9/19 2:12 AM, James E Keenan wrote:

> Even if, under the proposed new system, only the first posting in a
> GitHub issue is cross-posted to the list, I would like us to continue
> to guarantee that that first posting is cross-posted to both the
> mailing list and the newsgroup.  (I understand that subsequent
> postings to a GitHub issue will not be cross-posted to the mailing
> list, so I won't expect them to be cross-posted to the newsgroup (or
> archived) either.)

Hi James (and everyone),

I am glad you are making use of the NNTP service.

Just to set expectations I want to tell that it’s mostly surviving because it’s also backing the web archive, but to be honest it’s just a problem or two away from being turned off (fortunately it hasn’t had many problems for a long long while).

In the last ~24 hours only 32 unique IPs have accessed the NNTP server at all, and that includes 10 that only read one or two articles and a few IPs that mostly look like they are just scraping content or worse. Only 9 of them (scraping or otherwise) read something from perl5-porters, if I am reading the logs right.

For comparison more than 500 people will get this email and almost two thousand are subscribed to the beginners list.

Ask