Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
Re: Transition from RT to GitHub [FAQ]
Message ID:
47508996-d692-a765-c997-20edbadd13f5@gmail.com

On 7/9/19 2:12 AM, James E Keenan wrote:
> On 7/8/19 6:45 PM, Sawyer X wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Q: Will all ticket updates be sent to the list as before?
>>
>> A: Only the initial ticket creation will show up on the list. This will
>> give you the ability to monitor only the issues you care about. You can
>> also monitor the whole project on GitHub to get all updates by simply
>> setting watch as you see fit in GitHub.
>>

> One of the features about our infrastructure that I have most
> appreciated over the years is the fact that I can use either a mail
> interface (perl5-porters@perl.org) or a news interface
> (perl.perl5.porters) to both read and write to the list.  I've always
> enjoyed the fact that I can handle my perl groups in a way completely
> outside the scope of my email accounts, i.e., via the news interface.
>
> Up until now, this has also meant that everything posted to
> rt.perl.org (whether original postings via email to perlbug@perl.org
> or subsequent follow-ups via email or web interface) has been
> cross-posted to both the mailing list and the newsgroup.
>
> I understand from personal experience and from many
> bug-ticket-conversations with Robert and Ask (our sysadmins) that
> these are the parts of the system that have been difficult to
> maintain.  For example, just last week there was a case where messages
> were being posted on the mailing list but not simultaneously being
> posted to the newsgroup and archived at
> https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/.
>
> Even if, under the proposed new system, only the first posting in a
> GitHub issue is cross-posted to the list, I would like us to continue
> to guarantee that that first posting is cross-posted to both the
> mailing list and the newsgroup.  (I understand that subsequent
> postings to a GitHub issue will not be cross-posted to the mailing
> list, so I won't expect them to be cross-posted to the newsgroup (or
> archived) either.)

I think this is a fine intent, and the question would be: How much
effort would it be to maintain vs. how many people use it. I can think
of more than one way to implement it. We just need someone to do it.

> I would also like us to continue to guarantee that one can still read
> or write the list using either mail or news interfaces.

Email is available with GitHub. You can both receive updates as emails
and reply to them via email. (I don't know if they provide a news
interface.) You do not need to use the web interface.

> If making these guarantees work requires additional coding effort, I
> am willing to be part of such an effort.

I'm not familiar enough what newsgroup maintenance and archiving but you
could use a web hook to trigger your code on changes to tickets.

You can read more about it here: https://developer.github.com/webhooks/