Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub

From:
Dan Book
Date:
Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub
Message ID:
CABMkAVU9NCTXGX4b8wLmbcxzo2RU8jMhtCgJJ9jW4TkmZRwrtg@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 5:23 AM <hv@crypt.org> wrote:

> Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
> :For this reason, we wish to move all Perl 5 RT tickets (open and closed)
> :over to https://github.com/Perl/perl5.
> :
> :As part of this work, we're moving our Perl 5 Git hosting to GitHub. Any
> :necessary customizations, as well as the correct permissions, will be
> :moved there as well. This work will include regular backups of the
> :repository and issues to prevent any loss during and after the transition.
>
> I'm not familiar with the full capabilities of github, so here are some
> questions:
>
> - how will someone filing an issue be encouraged to include perl version
> information?
>
> - where will security issues go, how will they get there, from whom will
> they be secure?
>
> - where will git branches for security issues go, from whom will they be
> secure?
>
> - in particular, at a github corporate/infrastructure level, who will have
> access to information relating to perl security issues?
>
> Also, if we start to accept (or even encourage) patch submission by means
> of pull request, I imagine github provides a handy merge button that would
> merge the branch to blead without rebasing it over blead.
>
> Though I'm aware there are strongly held opinions on both sides of this
> issue, I hope we won't start allowing such non-linear merges: IIRC we saw
> a bit of havoc the last time one was done (manually) in blead, and in
> various work projects I've found such merges to be a regular and
> significant
> source of bugs, and also substantially to impede the ability to discover
> historic information when you need it (eg by bisection).

I can't answer all of these, but I can help with some details on GitHub
features -- you can set up issue and PR templates which tell the user what
they should include; there are additional options to merge a PR by rebase
or rebase+squash into one commit which could be enforced by policy.

-Dan