[perl #134234] CODESET doesn't behave as documented

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
July 4, 2019 14:00
Subject:
[perl #134234] CODESET doesn't behave as documented
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-26955-1562248811-455.134234-15-0@perl.org
On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 13:10:02 GMT, choroba@matfyz.cz wrote:
> This is a bug report for perl from choroba@matfyz.cz,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.41 running under perl 5.31.1.

> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> The documentation of CODESET in I18N::Langinfo says:
>
> "CODESET"
>    Unimplemented, except on Windows, due to the vagaries of vendor
>    locale names, returning "" on non-Windows.
>
> But, when running in Linux, it clearly returns something:
>
> $ perl -MI18N::Langinfo=langinfo,CODESET -E 'say langinfo(CODESET)'
> UTF-8
>
> Reading the source code shows the function calls nl_langinfo if it
> exists. The documentation should be updated to reflect the fact it can
> return something on non-Windows sometimes.

Indeed, I get a non-empty return value on Linux as far back as 5.10.1.

Karl, this documentation was added in commit 8d72e74e3dc5017c5a3fade48e0c74109c297ebc.  Can you take a look?

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---