Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub

From:
Eric Wong
Date:
Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub
Message ID:
20190702072203.GB4446@ailurophile
Ryan Voots <simcop2387@simcop2387.info> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 10:30 PM Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> wrote:
> Sawyer X wrote:
> > > There are a couple important considerations here:
> > >
> > > 1. The current bug reporting process requires a working mailserver and
> > the
> > > persistence to find out if your bug report actually worked -- they very
> > > commonly don't, I had to invent a specific process to ensure my reports
> > get
> > > through, even being in constant contact with many of the developers in
> > IRC.
> > > This is not suitable.
> >
> > AFAIK, Debian's reportbug(1) uses the submission port (587) which
> > doesn't require a working mailserver.
> >
> > Perhaps the perl.org MX (perl.mx.develooper.com) could enable
> > port 587 and perlbug can be updated to use it?
>
> Port 587 is also an SMTP/email port, typically used in cases where you're
> expecting authentication before accepting any messages (typically user
> mailing agents).

Right, but it also works w/o authentication at all.

> Debian's report bug script might use this port, but it's doing so as a
> mailer itself (check it's source code, it is python but it's pretty easy to
> follow).  So I'm not sure this would actually accomplish anything.

*shrug*  We have Net::SMTP in the standard library, might as well
teach perlbug to use it: https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=134253