Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub

From:
Shlomi Fish
Date:
Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub
Message ID:
20190701183300.0bc8dbd2@telaviv1.shlomifish.org
Hi all,

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 21:48:24 +0300
Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> The ticketing system Perl 5 Porters are using is close to 20 years old.
> In internal discussions, it has become clear that this system, which
> suffers from 15+ years of grown complexity, cannot be maintained moving
> forward. This means we need to find a way forward.
>

> Over the past year, we had numerous conversations with stakeholders in
> the core to understand our needs. We have reviewed alternatives and
> determined that GitHub provides us with the most features with the least
> overhead, allowing us to keep as much as we can of our current setup.
> Being the market leader for open source hosting, it also significantly
> lowers the bar for new contributors, who will already know how the
> tooling works.
>

> For this reason, we wish to move all Perl 5 RT tickets (open and closed)
> over to https://github.com/Perl/perl5.
>

> As part of this work, we're moving our Perl 5 Git hosting to GitHub. Any
> necessary customizations, as well as the correct permissions, will be
> moved there as well. This work will include regular backups of the
> repository and issues to prevent any loss during and after the transition.
>

> To prevent death by bikeshed, we intend to have discussions for two
> weeks, allowing us to move forward with implementation and work out
> kinks long before the December freeze for 5.32.0.
>

> We will follow up with a Q&A on the differences. We request additional
> comments be sent to this thread or directly to me.

my 2 cents:

Personally, I am happy with using github. However, I can relate to those who
have a problem with its ToS, dependence on JS, or similar. If our only issue is
the issue/bug tracker, then perhaps we should deploy one of the alternatives
here:

* https://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/resources/software-tools/

* http://linas.org/linux/pm.html

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue-tracking_systems

I do not have a strong preference for or against any bug tracker as they all
work fairly well for me.

Regards,

	Shlomi