Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub

From:
Ryan Voots
Date:
Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub
Message ID:
CA+sVJXm__LooAuLuDnokVRgxoUoeZPgp0SuaQU0PM75_An=R0w@mail.gmail.com
I have no particular complaints or issues with GitHub, but I am curious
about what ruled out some of the other services.  I expect that something
like Gogs or Gitea just can't handle a project the scale of Perl (probably
can handle the contributors no problem, but the ticketing/issues is fairly
basic compared to others).
I'm mostly curious about GitLab's consideration so I can know for my own
reference for future projects (if the concerns would matter to me or not),
but don't want to re-spark any discussions or try to convince anyone of
anything with this.

Ryan Voots

P.S also see reply below.

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 10:30 PM Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> wrote:

> > There are a couple important considerations here:
> >
> > 1. The current bug reporting process requires a working mailserver and
> the
> > persistence to find out if your bug report actually worked -- they very
> > commonly don't, I had to invent a specific process to ensure my reports
> get
> > through, even being in constant contact with many of the developers in
> IRC.
> > This is not suitable.
>
> AFAIK, Debian's reportbug(1) uses the submission port (587) which
> doesn't require a working mailserver.
>
> Perhaps the perl.org MX (perl.mx.develooper.com) could enable
> port 587 and perlbug can be updated to use it?

Port 587 is also an SMTP/email port, typically used in cases where you're
expecting authentication before accepting any messages (typically user
mailing agents).

Debian's report bug script might use this port, but it's doing so as a
mailer itself (check it's source code, it is python but it's pretty easy to
follow).  So I'm not sure this would actually accomplish anything.