Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub

From:
Eric Wong
Date:
Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub
Message ID:
20190701052217.vfblh2v56wc5ot7q@dcvr
Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 3:18 PM Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>
> > Sawyer X writes:
> > > For this reason, we wish to move all Perl 5 RT tickets (open and closed)
> > > over to https://github.com/Perl/perl5.

I rarely find bugs with perl; but in case I find more, will there be
a persistent ticket migration from RT to GH?

In other words, will RT's mail submission remain open?
(otherwise, perlbug installations would all become useless).

> > If any of that requires to open a Github account, then you've lost me.
> > I don't care how popular any platform you chose is, if it requires an
> > locked-in account to even file bugs then it's not suitable.

I'm in the same boat as Achim.  The requirement to use JS for
registration and their terms-of-service are unnacceptable.

> There are a couple important considerations here:
>
> 1. The current bug reporting process requires a working mailserver and the
> persistence to find out if your bug report actually worked -- they very
> commonly don't, I had to invent a specific process to ensure my reports get
> through, even being in constant contact with many of the developers in IRC.
> This is not suitable.

AFAIK, Debian's reportbug(1) uses the submission port (587) which
doesn't require a working mailserver.

Perhaps the perl.org MX (perl.mx.develooper.com) could enable
port 587 and perlbug can be updated to use it?

> 2. There are many solutions for mechanisms to allow anonymous bug reports
> to open issues on GitHub. It is a complicated problem to avoid replicating
> the spam management problem that lead to RT's online bug submission being
> disabled.

I actually do want credit for my work; but I'm not going to have
my (limited) web presence tied to a flashy, for-profit site.

In any case, any pointers to such anonymous submission mechanisms?
I think they'd violate GH's ToS and may be shutdown or disabled
without notice.

Thanks.