develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2019

Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub

From:
Dan Book
Date:
June 30, 2019 23:30
Re: We plan to transition from RT to GitHub
Message ID:
CABMkAVWVdqtt8XVxqM4apQ20UyKBAuZ5YjOruS+otR=C31kaHg@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 3:18 PM Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Sawyer X writes:
> > For this reason, we wish to move all Perl 5 RT tickets (open and closed)
> > over to https://github.com/Perl/perl5.
>
> If any of that requires to open a Github account, then you've lost me.
> I don't care how popular any platform you chose is, if it requires an
> locked-in account to even file bugs then it's not suitable.

There are a couple important considerations here:

1. The current bug reporting process requires a working mailserver and the
persistence to find out if your bug report actually worked -- they very
commonly don't, I had to invent a specific process to ensure my reports get
through, even being in constant contact with many of the developers in IRC.
This is not suitable.

2. There are many solutions for mechanisms to allow anonymous bug reports
to open issues on GitHub. It is a complicated problem to avoid replicating
the spam management problem that lead to RT's online bug submission being
disabled.

3. While it is important that potential reporters are able to submit
reports, it's also important that the (volunteer and grant supported)
developers are able to usefully manage the issues.

I will wait for the mentioned Q&A before commenting further.

-Dan