develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2019

[perl #134152] Remove vestiges of sfio I/O layer code

From:
Richard
Date:
May 30, 2019 21:57
Subject:
[perl #134152] Remove vestiges of sfio I/O layer code
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-30106-1559253420-1234.134152-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Richard
# Please include the string:  [perl #134152]

Perl 5.20 removed support for the sfio I/O system, AT&T's Safe/Fast
I/O library, which had been long broken. Most grep results for "sfio"
in core (outside of /cpan) are part of comments etc. that are logical
to keep.

The attached patch removes the three occurrences that no longer seem
necessary. The first two look trivial:
* One a simple partial comment in hints/dec_osf.sh
* Part of a bunch of libs overrides in Porting/bisect-runner.pl

This one may hide more than sfio nuances though:
* A seemingly sfio-specific if() block in PP(pp_fttext) in pp_sys.c,
relating to large buffers

If there's good reason to keep this block, maybe just the comment can
be scrubbed - or amended if someone knows why else the block is
needed? Otherwise maybe smoke it and see?

Regards,
Richard