develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2019

[perl #134146] InKana example in perlunicode.pod no longer valid

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 27, 2019 14:19
Subject:
[perl #134146] InKana example in perlunicode.pod no longer valid
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-26942-1558966739-249.134146-15-0@perl.org
On Mon, 27 May 2019 08:29:53 GMT, jgreely wrote:
> This is a bug report for perl from perlbug@jgreely.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.41 running under perl 5.28.1.

> While upgrading a script from Perl 5.20.2 to 5.28.1, I discovered
> that there's now a builtin InKana property, so the example in
> perlunicode.pod is ignored if you try to use it. Changing the
> name to something other than InKana (or IsKana, which was already
> in 5.20.2) works.
>
> Example code:
>     perl -e '$_ = "a";/\p{InKana}/'
>
> 5.20.2:
> Can't find Unicode property definition "InKana" at -e line 1.
>
> 5.28.1:
> (no output)

Would it be possible for you to provide a patch to pod/perlunicode.pod in the Perl 5 core distribution so that it is clear exactly which example in that document needs revision?

I couldn't locate the specific code example you provided in that document, even though I was able to confirm the difference in behavior between those two perl versions.

Ideally, we would prefer against perl 5 blead, i.e., against pod/perlunicode.pod in a git checkout of core.  It would also be good to attach the patch rather than including it inline.

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---