develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2019

[perl #134061] panic: pad_findmy_pvn illegal flag bits 0x20000000

From:
Sawyer X via RT
Date:
April 27, 2019 08:26
Subject:
[perl #134061] panic: pad_findmy_pvn illegal flag bits 0x20000000
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-2759-1556353597-1859.134061-15-0@perl.org
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 06:06:15 -0700, arc wrote:
> Sergey Aleynikov (via RT) <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> > use utf8; eval "sort \x{100}%"; warn $@;
> > panic: pad_findmy_pvn illegal flag bits 0x20000000 at (eval 1) line 1.
>
> Patch attached.
>
> Sawyer, is this OK to merge before 5.30?

I didn't see an email on this response.

Generally, the answer would be no. In this case, it seems like a very small patch (with a test) that might just be okay enough. My only concern is whether this could reintroduce some breakage for which we do not have a test? Will it break some CPAN module that depends on this incorrect behavior? (I'm not sure how one even could do that, but... maybe?)

I would prefer another person with strong UTF background (say, Karl) to back this up.

Regardless, Sergey's work and contributions are very much appreciated, both by me and by the other core developers. Thank you for helping us create a better Perl. :)

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open