develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2019

[perl #134061] panic: pad_findmy_pvn illegal flag bits 0x20000000

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
April 26, 2019 13:54
Subject:
[perl #134061] panic: pad_findmy_pvn illegal flag bits 0x20000000
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-23887-1556286895-1937.134061-15-0@perl.org
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 13:49:01 GMT, jkeenan wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 13:06:15 GMT, arc wrote:
> > Sergey Aleynikov (via RT) <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> > > use utf8; eval "sort \x{100}%"; warn $@;
> > > panic: pad_findmy_pvn illegal flag bits 0x20000000 at (eval 1) line
> > > 1.
> >
> > Patch attached.
> >
> > Sawyer, is this OK to merge before 5.30?
> >

> My two cents:  At this point in the dev cycle we should not be making
> changes in *.c or *.h files.  The potential ramifications of changes
> to the guts are vast.  Our ability to thoroughly assess the impact in
> the time remaining to production release is very limited.
>
> That's why we have code freezes.

I would like to add my thanks to Sergey Aleynikov for the tremendous work he has done during this development cycle at identifying weaknesses in our source code with his fuzzing work.  See, for example, all the items added to our "fuzzer-detected issues" META ticket (https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=126546) which come from his work.

Nonetheless, we have generally not been treating these bug reports as blockers for perl-5.30, whether or not we have been able to write patches for them.  If we're not treating this particular RT as a blocker, then we should not be applying a patch for it during code freeze.

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---