develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2019

Re: Config options d_strtod_l & d_strtold_l

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
April 25, 2019 08:50
Re: Config options d_strtod_l & d_strtold_l
Message ID:
20190425105007.5290d276@pc09.procura.nl
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 14:28:01 +1000, sisyphus <sisyphus359@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Previously unaware of these options, I learned of their existence
> while reading https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=134031
>
> But I can't find any C code in the perl source that actually does
> things differently depending upon whether these symbols are defined
> or not.
>
> I mean, I can see that defining them leads to HAS_STROD_L &

Missing a T there :)

> HAS_STRTOLD_L being defined, but that's it.

It was added back in in April 2018 because Karl asked for it.

It is a kind of chicken-egg problem: one cannot use feature until they
are there. So we (the Configure maint team) add features on request,
but we do not control its use.

> AFAICS, there's in no place in the perl source that makes purposeful
> use of these symbols; hence whether they are defined or not really
> makes no difference at all..

That is a correct conclusion, but now that the probes are in, you *can*
use them.

> Have I missed something ?

I don't think so, except maybe the way this process works, but that is
not important

> Rob

using perl5.00307 .. 5.29   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE