develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2019

[perl #133961] Documentation patch for -M

From:
Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat via RT
Date:
April 24, 2019 23:01
Subject:
[perl #133961] Documentation patch for -M
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-15079-1556146880-994.133961-15-0@perl.org
On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 05:24:28 -0700, jkeenan wrote:

> If we accept the patch, then this becomes a feature which we have to
> support going forward.  Do we want to do that?  Should we?

My understanding of many of the command-line operators like -p, -n, -e
and others is that they basically construct a string that ends up being
eval'ed. This is a particularly stable part of Perl.

This powers the Eskimo Greeting secret operator `}{` and makes weird
things like `perl -pe '11..&'` (exposed back in 2001) still work today.

https://metacpan.org/pod/perlsecret#Eskimo-greeting
https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.fwp/2001/12/msg813.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20020715001632/http://use.perl.org/~pdcawley/journal/1474

-- BooK