develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2019

[perl #134046] perlport - Open modes -| and |- now supported inWin32

From:
Dan Book
Date:
April 18, 2019 22:47
Subject:
[perl #134046] perlport - Open modes -| and |- now supported inWin32
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-22505-1555627626-593.134046-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Dan Book
# Please include the string:  [perl #134046]

Pipe open modes in the list form of open() have been supported in Win32
since Perl 5.22. Thus the "Win32" designation should be removed from the
note in the section for open in perlport. It doesn't appear that any of the
other function notes reference limitations in past versions of Perl.

I am unsure if an additional note should be added for Win32, as the Perl
5.22 perldelta says "It has the same limitations as system LIST on Win32,
since the Win32 API doesn't accept program arguments as a list." but also
"Note: unlike system LIST this does not fall back to the shell." which
contradicts the only limitation I could find of system LIST on Win32, that
it may fall back to the shell.

-Dan