develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2019

[perl #133985] say should be on by default

From:
Steven Penny
Date:
April 4, 2019 00:42
Subject:
[perl #133985] say should be on by default
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-6136-1554338544-142.133985-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Steven Penny
# Please include the string:  [perl #133985]

say:

https://perldoc.perl.org/functions/say.html

has been available at least since version 5.10.0 (2007):

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl_5_version_history

Personally I think its important that all programming languages have some
builtin function that outputs a string followed by newline. Several lanuages
have this already, for example Python:

    print('hello world')

Ruby:

    puts 'hello world'

Lua:

    print 'hello world'

its even defined by POSIX:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/puts.html

C example:

    #include <stdio.h>
    int main() {
       puts("hello world");
    }

"say" is ideal for this usage, but I think it should be available without having
to issue "use feature say" or similar.