develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2019

Re: Time for Perl 5.28.2

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
April 2, 2019 16:35
Re: Time for Perl 5.28.2
Message ID:
CADED=K5KaypVDsYXXn9EEREMUg_YJmrpx=7hsFpjjHJUtpK00g@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 at 10:27, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com> wrote:

> With 5.30 slated for May 20th it's high time I got a move on with
> getting 5.28.2 out. I apologize for it being later than I originally
> intended ("soon after 5.28.1" was my original plan), but I've finally
> got round to updating the 5.28 voting file with some likely candidates
> for back-porting:
>
> https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob_plain/refs/heads/maint-votes:/votes-5.28.xml
>
> If there are other changes meeting the criteria for back-porting (see
> https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/perl/pod/perlpolicy.pod#MAINTENANCE-BRANCHES)
> that you would like to see in 5.28.2 then feel free to reply on- or
> off-list with suggestions.
>
> Committers: Please consider looking through the file (it's currently
> agreeably small) and casting votes.
>
> I would like to aim for an April release so as not to interfere with
> the 5.30 release in May.

Thanks to some speedy voting, all commits so far proposed are now
cherry-picked into maint-5.28 except for one: The original fix for
perl #133547 was commit 393e5a4585, which has 3 votes, but this fix
was later superseded by f4e61fc038 -- given which I'm not sure whether
it's really right to cherry-pick 393e5a4585? Is it OK, should we
consider f4e61fc038 instead, or should we even drop this fix from
5.28.2 and leave it for 5.30.0?

Otherwise I'm hoping to get RC1 out on Friday 5th, with a view to a
final release a fortnight later (Friday 19th). If we need an RC2 then
we still have a week or more in hand before we hit May.