Re: RFC: Adding \p{foo=/re/}

From:
Deven T. Corzine
Date:
February 9, 2019 09:16
Re: RFC: Adding \p{foo=/re/}
Message ID:
CAFVdu0Qs4pV7wqQJ80n2FWkDQpNahuW-m0dgEX9aYX+h67vJcg@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 1:50 AM demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> Answering very quickly (I am on holiday) I will say that if what you are
> saying is correct that this is a way to define a character class and that
> it results in a first order compiled character class then I have no
> objections other than the syntax being very misleading in form. *But* that
> doesn't seem to match what Karl said in terms of implementation which looks
> much closer to an eval/recursion group.
>
> Yves

When Karl asked for comments about this feature, I read through the section
of the UTS 18 document that Karl linked to, and I think I understand what
they’re describing.  My description of compiling the property expression
into a character class is hypothetical, based on how I would approach
implementing the feature efficiently.  I don’t know how Karl’s prototype
works, but it does sound like it may be recursive.

Karl, can you enlighten us?  Are you recursing into a subpattern at
runtime? What do you think of the hypothetical approach I described?

Deven