[perl #133830] "-Wformat-overflow=' warnings in sv.c when compilingwith gcc or g++

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
February 6, 2019 19:23
Subject:
[perl #133830] "-Wformat-overflow=' warnings in sv.c when compilingwith gcc or g++
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-11183-1549480996-1585.133830-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  James E Keenan
# Please include the string:  [perl #133830]

Since we're approaching code freeze, let's call attention to
a small number of build-time ('make') warnings.

On the FreeBSD-11.2 box where I regularly run smoke-tests of
blead, I built blead at commit 4a1f176 (Feb 05 2019) with
each of the three compilers I customarily use during
smoke-testing.  Hence, I configured in these ways:

#####
sh ./Configure -des -Dusedevel -Duseithreads -Doptimize="-O2 -pipe
-fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing" -Dcc="clang -Qunused-arguments"

sh ./Configure -des -Dusedevel -Duseithreads -Doptimize="-O2 -pipe
-fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing" -Dcc="gcc"

sh ./Configure -des -Dusedevel -Duseithreads -Doptimize="-O2 -pipe
-fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing" -Dcc=g++
#####

In each case I recorded the output of 'make test_prep',
grepped the file for warnings, then set aside warnings
generated during the build of modules distributed with core
but maintained upstream (e.g., Encode; IO::Compress).

That left 0 build-time warnings directly attributable to p5p
when I built with clang, and only a handful when I built
with gcc or g++.  See attached files.  Indeed, I suspect
that these '-Wformat-overflow=' warnings recorded
differently in the gcc and g++ files probably express the
same underlying problem.  If anyone wants to take a crack at
eliminating those warnings (without damaging anything else),
please do so.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan