develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2019

Comment: Restricting POSIX character classes to ASCII

From:
harryfmudd
Date:
January 25, 2019 05:53
Comment: Restricting POSIX character classes to ASCII
Message ID:
938444442.279926.1548097332274@connect.xfinity.com
Dear Perl Porters,

While researching correspondence re my recent blog post on sanitizing numeric input (http://blogs.perl.org/users/tom_wyant/2019/01/untrusted-numeric-input.html) I discovered the following in perlrecharclass as the last paragraph in "POSIX Character Classes":

It is proposed to change this behavior in a future release of Perl so that
whether or not Unicode rules are in effect would not change the behavior:
Outside of locale, the POSIX classes would behave like their ASCII-range
counterparts. If you wish to comment on this proposal, send email to
"perl5-porters@perl.org".

* Is this still the plan? If this is no longer the plan, the paragraph should be removed. If it is still the plan, I believe more publicity would be helpful -- say, on https://www.perl.com/. I was able to track this paragraph as far back as Perl 5.14.0, May 2011, so if it is still the plan it has been hanging fire for almost 8 years.

* I would prefer that the referred-to change NOT be made. We already have a good half-dozen ways to deal with the "restrict to ASCII range" problem, most of which are Perl-version-dependent. The justification for adding yet another is unclear to me. Specifically, what does it get me that 'use re /a;' (introduced in 5.13.10) does not?

* If there are compelling reasons to pursue this, I would appreciate it if those reasons were made explicit.

* If this change is pursued, please try to do it in a way that minimizes the need for Perl code to be aware of the version of Perl it runs under. This seems to me to mean tying it to 'use 5.xxxx;', but there may well be better ways.

With thanks for shepherding Perl into its 4th decade (!!!)

Tom Wyant