develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2019

[perl #133750] SIGSEGV with Term::ReadLine call readline()

From:
Tony Cook via RT
Date:
January 23, 2019 03:56
Subject:
[perl #133750] SIGSEGV with Term::ReadLine call readline()
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-22117-1548215802-1827.133750-15-0@perl.org
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 15:33:54 -0800, rafal@milecki.pl wrote:
> This problem has appeared to be related to (or caused by) an outdated
> Term-ReadLine-Gnu version (1.20) provided by openSUSE.
>
> I've tested the latest Term-ReadLine-Gnu and bisected to find fixing
> commits.
>
> Release 1.23 has fixed a crash with a commit:
> r460 ("fix not to clobber binmode layer (utf-8) on filehandles")
> https://sourceforge.net/p/perl-trg/code/460/
>
> Unfortunately that wasn't a real/complete fix as it made readline()
> just return immediately an empty value.
>
> Release 1.26 provided a real fix with a commit:
> r481 ("make handling of iostreams simple (make _rl_store_iostream()
> return void and remove _rl_fetch_iostream()) [rt.cpan.org #101078]")
> https://sourceforge.net/p/perl-trg/code/481/
>
> Starting with that change calling readline() allows user to provide an
> input as expected.
>
> Thanks everyone involved into this debugging, I believe it's up to the
> openSUSE to update Term-ReadLine-Gnu now.

Thanks for the update.

Since this isn't a bug in perl, and appears to have been fixed upstream, and we aren't the upstream, I'm rejecting this issue.

Tony

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open