develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2019

Perl 5.29.7 has been released.

From:
Abigail
Date:
January 20, 2019 02:40
Subject:
Perl 5.29.7 has been released.
Message ID:
20190120024913.GL20714@almanda.fritz.box

When I became acquainted with the notion of algorithmic languages I
never challenged the then prevailing notion that the problems of
language design and implementation were mostly a question of
compromises: every new convenience for the user had to be paid for
by the implementation, either in the form of increased trouble
during translation, or during execution or during both. Well, we
are most certainly not living in Heaven and I am not going to deny
the possibility of a conflict between convenience and efficiency,
but now I do protest when this conflict is presented as a complete
summing up of the situation. I am of the opinion that is worth-while
to investigate what extent the needs of Man and Machine go hand in
hand and to see what techniques we can devise of the benefit of all
of us. I trust that this investigation will bear fruits and if this
talk made some of you share this fervent hope, it has achieved its aim.

    --  Edsger W. Dijkstra: "Programming Considered as a Human Activity",
                             IFIP Congress, New York, 1965.

We are happy to announce version 5.29.7 the eight development release
of version 29 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.29.7 from your favorite
CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/ABIGAIL/perl-5.29.7/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

  cbc6539be9d9b76eee692ae282a9e6105c2e6fd4  perl-5.29.7.tar.gz
  855cd4890155c5b6210ee030db64811a6c672d2b  perl-5.29.7.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/ABIGAIL/perl-5.29.7/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.29.7 represents approximately 5 weeks of development since Perl
5.29.6 and contains approximately 97,000 lines of changes across 350 files
from 8 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there were
approximately 27,000 lines of changes to 190 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to have
contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.29.7:

Abigail, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Eugen Konkov, Hauke D, James E Keenan,
Karl Williamson, Tomasz Konojacki, Tony Cook.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not include
the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who reported issues to
the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN modules
included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN community for
helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors, please
see the F<AUTHORS> file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release version 5.29.8 on Feb 20, 2019.  The next major
stable release of Perl 5, version 30.0, should appear in May 2019.

Regards,

Abigail