develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2019

[perl #133610] [RFC] feature sysio_bytes

From:
Tony Cook via RT
Date:
January 1, 2019 22:44
Subject:
[perl #133610] [RFC] feature sysio_bytes
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-30280-1546382662-881.133610-15-0@perl.org
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 17:13:55 -0700, tonyc wrote:
> In [perl #125760] I suggested obsoleting sysread and syswrite on :utf8
> handles, and after some discussion on #p5p, also deprecated send and
> recv on :utf8 handles.
>
> With 5c0551aafb45d343b720500fd9560ffedd9607fa the deprecation was
> carried through and these operators now croak when used on a :utf8
> handle.
>
> So how can we get to a saner behaviour for these operators without
> silently changing the behaviour of existing code?
>
> The attached patches add a new feature that prevents these operators
> from croaking when used on a :utf8 handle, but also makes them work in
> bytes, rather then the sketchy way they did before.
>
> This feature is currently not part of any version feature bundles, but
> this could change.

Rejecting, since the only responses have been negative.

Tony

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open