develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2018

Perl 5.29.6 has been released!

From:
Abigail
Date:
December 18, 2018 12:44
Subject:
Perl 5.29.6 has been released!
Message ID:
20181218125257.GL28272@almanda.fritz.box

The Camel's hump is an ugly lump
  Which well you may see at the Zoo;
But uglier yet is the hump we get
  From having little to do.

Kiddies and grown-ups too-oo-oo
If we haven't enough to do-oo-oo,
      We get the hump -
      Cameelious hump -
The hump that is black and blue!

We climb out of bed with a frouzly head
  And a snarly-yarly voice.
We shiver and scowl and we grunt and we growl
  At our bath and our boots and our toys;

And there ought to be a corner for me
(And I know there is one for you)
      When we get the hump -
      Cameelious hump -
The hump that is black and blue!

The cure for this ill is to not sit still,
  Or frowst with a book by the fire;
But to take a large hoe and a shovel also,
  And dig till you gentle perspire;

And then you will find that the sun and the wind,
And the Djinn of the Garden too,
      Have lifted the hump -
      The horrible hump -
The hump that is black and blue!

I get it as well as you-oo-oo -
If I haven't enough to do-oo-oo!
      We all get hump -
      Cameelious hump -
Kiddies and grown-ups too!

    -- Rudyard Kipling: "How the Camel Got His Hump",
       in "Just So Stories", Macmillan, London, 1902.

On Perl's 31st birthday, we are happy to announce version 5.29.6,
the seventh development release of version 29 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.29.6 from your
favorite CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/ABIGAIL/perl-5.29.6/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

  cf87c05ca534859886b65d11c3affbdcb7cf030d  perl-5.29.6.tar.gz
  da6314e4e0513000b266a0e999704785bdb98f9e  perl-5.29.6.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/ABIGAIL/perl-5.29.6/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.29.6 represents approximately 4 weeks of development since Perl
5.29.5 and contains approximately 5,000 lines of changes across 230 files
from 19 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there were
approximately 2,600 lines of changes to 150 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to have
contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.29.6:

Aaron Crane, Abigail, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker, David Mitchell, Dominic
Hargreaves, E. Choroba, Eugen Konkov, H.Merijn Brand, James E Keenan, Jerry
D. Hedden, Karen Etheridge, Karl Williamson, Leon Timmermans, Niko Tyni,
Petr Písař, Sisyphus, Steve Hay, Tomasz Konojacki, Tony Cook.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not include
the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who reported issues to
the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN modules
included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN community for
helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors, please
see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release version 5.29.7 on Jan 20, 2019. The next major
stable release of Perl 5, version 30.0, should appear in May 2019.

Regards,

Abigail