develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2018

Re: [perl #133712] Confusingly, perlref calls a hash in the examples%array

From:
Josh Juran
Date:
December 6, 2018 20:00
Re: [perl #133712] Confusingly, perlref calls a hash in the examples%array
Message ID:
22DBB760-3E88-4F53-B0C0-BDD491C3D8F4@gmail.com
On Dec 6, 2018, at 12:27 PM, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:57 AM Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
>
> Hash is either cannabis or corned beef and spuds, and the fact that Perl implements its associative arrays with hash tables is an implementation detail: the interface would be just the same were they binary trees or something else.

Unless you consider algorithmic complexity guarantees to be part of the interface.  Also, is the hash table still an implementation detail when "hash" explicitly quotes it?  That sounds like specified behavior to me.

Josh