develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2018

[perl #133712] Confusingly, perlref calls a hash in the examples%array

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
December 6, 2018 03:07
Subject:
[perl #133712] Confusingly, perlref calls a hash in the examples%array
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-25469-1544065647-45.133712-15-0@perl.org
On Wed, 05 Dec 2018 23:04:52 GMT, choroba@matfyz.cz wrote:
> This is a bug report for perl from choroba@cpan.org,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.41 running under perl 5.29.6.

> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> The subject says it all. $array{ aaa }{ bbb }{ ccc } is confusing,
> since it's a hash, not an array.
>
> Patch attached.

The code examples you are proposing to change were written by Larry Wall in commit 748a93069b3 in March 1995.  We haven't changed them in all that time ... which makes me suspect we have a reason for doing so (though I myself don't know what that reason is).

Thank you very much.
--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---