develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2018

Re: 5.28.1 with -Duseshrplib issues

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
December 5, 2018 11:26
Re: 5.28.1 with -Duseshrplib issues
Message ID:
20181205122512.43e4b53e@pc09.procura.nl
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 20:40:47 +1100, Tony Cook <tony@develop-help.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 10:02:07AM +0100, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> > I built, tested and installed 5.28.1 on my laptop using
> >
> > ./Configure -Duse64bitall -Duselongdouble -Dusethreads -Duseithreads -Duseshrplib -des
>
> Did you supply -Dprefix too?

Of course :)

> > I installed it into my usual place: /pro/bin/
> > the I linked /pro/bin/perl to /pro/bin/perl5.28.0 again to not disrupt
> > my other tasks while installing all the modules in the 5.28.1 tree
> >
> > I always forbid to use modules from the previous installs:
> >
> > $ perl -V:.*inc_version.*
>
> Is that the new or old perl?

both

> > d_inc_version_list='undef';
> > inc_version_list=' ';
> > inc_version_list_init='0';
> >
> > What I then not is that when using CPAN in a script like
> >
> >  $ perl5.28.1 -MCPAN::Shell -we 'CPAN::Shell->install ($_) for qw( ... )'
> >
> > all modules that use ExtUtil::MakeMaker install as expected, as the usual riddle is
> >
> >  perl5.28.1 Makefile.PL && make && make test && make install
> >
> > where make invokes the perl used to build the Makefile: perl5.28.1
> >
> > and all modules that use Module::Build fail, as the use
> >
> >  perl5.28.1 Build.PL && ./Build && ./Build test && ./Build install
> >
> > and the shebang of Build is /pro/bin/perl which points to the previous perl
>
> If your new perl is also being installed as /pro/bin/perl the module
> build process might be confused.

$ cd perl-5.28.1
$ make install
$ cd /pro/bin
$ rm perl
$ ln -s perl5.28.0 perl

/pro/bin/perl symlinks to my "current" perl

> > My previous perl (5.28.0) was NOT built with -Duseshrplib
> >
> > I (by now) do not know if having the previous perl not having a shared
> > plib has any influence on the bad behavior of Module::Build and if the
> > causes havoc on my current perl, but in the new perl I now get some
> > fails I never saw before:
>
> For a Makefile.PL module build try checking the values of PERL and
> FULLPERL in the generated Makefile to see if it points at
> /opt/bin/perl (bad) or /opt/bin/perl5.28.1 (good).

All ExtUtils::MakeMaker build succeed as the Makefile.PL is invoked
with perl5.28.1

> > Does this mean I have to start all over without shared plib or did I
> > surface a bug in perl core?
>
> I'm pretty sure you just confused the build process.

Oké, I'll start afresh and make this perl the default perl

> Tony

using perl5.00307 .. 5.29   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE