develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2018

Re: 5.28.1 with -Duseshrplib issues

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
December 5, 2018 09:40
Re: 5.28.1 with -Duseshrplib issues
Message ID:
20181205094046.5ly2upgjzflj5lla@mars.tony.develop-help.com
On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 10:02:07AM +0100, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> I built, tested and installed 5.28.1 on my laptop using
>
> ./Configure -Duse64bitall -Duselongdouble -Dusethreads -Duseithreads -Duseshrplib -des

Did you supply -Dprefix too?

> I installed it into my usual place: /pro/bin/
> the I linked /pro/bin/perl to /pro/bin/perl5.28.0 again to not disrupt
> my other tasks while installing all the modules in the 5.28.1 tree
>
> I always forbid to use modules from the previous installs:
>
> $ perl -V:.*inc_version.*

Is that the new or old perl?

> d_inc_version_list='undef';
> inc_version_list=' ';
> inc_version_list_init='0';
>
> What I then not is that when using CPAN in a script like
>
>  $ perl5.28.1 -MCPAN::Shell -we 'CPAN::Shell->install ($_) for qw( ... )'
>
> all modules that use ExtUtil::MakeMaker install as expected, as the usual riddle is
>
>  perl5.28.1 Makefile.PL && make && make test && make install
>
> where make invokes the perl used to build the Makefile: perl5.28.1
>
> and all modules that use Module::Build fail, as the use
>
>  perl5.28.1 Build.PL && ./Build && ./Build test && ./Build install
>
> and the shebang of Build is /pro/bin/perl which points to the previous perl

If your new perl is also being installed as /pro/bin/perl the module
build process might be confused.

> My previous perl (5.28.0) was NOT built with -Duseshrplib
>
> I (by now) do not know if having the previous perl not having a shared
> plib has any influence on the bad behavior of Module::Build and if the
> causes havoc on my current perl, but in the new perl I now get some
> fails I never saw before:

For a Makefile.PL module build try checking the values of PERL and
FULLPERL in the generated Makefile to see if it points at
/opt/bin/perl (bad) or /opt/bin/perl5.28.1 (good).

> Does this mean I have to start all over without shared plib or did I
> surface a bug in perl core?

I'm pretty sure you just confused the build process.

Tony