develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2018

Perl 5.29.5 is released!

From:
Karen Etheridge
Date:
November 20, 2018 23:23
Subject:
Perl 5.29.5 is released!
Message ID:
CAPJsHfCOHrG1yEW31zUrHEVgRnBJLJ9juyNOpGFr3F=_-_1ywg@mail.gmail.com
The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey--
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter--
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover--
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

    - T. S. Eliot, "The Naming Of Cats"

We are rhapsodic to announce version 29.5,
the sixth development release of version 29 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.29.5 from your
favourite CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/ETHER/perl-5.29.5/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

 d11658e7f85d920dfd12d0838aed063c88f92326  perl-5.29.5.tar.gz
 7acb1cbb4f68e9059db5d9084030a5bec8210923  perl-5.29.5.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/ETHER/perl-5.29.5/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.29.5 represents approximately 4 weeks of development since Perl
5.29.4 and contains approximately 4,000 lines of changes across 110 files
from 18 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there were
approximately 2,600 lines of changes to 51 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to have
contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.29.5:

Aaron Crane, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker, Dan
Dedrick, David Cantrell, David Mitchell, Dominic Hargreaves, H.Merijn Brand,
James Clarke, James E Keenan, Karen Etheridge, Karl Williamson, Niko Tyni,
Pali, Phil Pearl (Lobbes), Sawyer X, Tomasz Konojacki, Tony Cook.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not include
the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who reported issues to
the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN modules
included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN community for
helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors, please
see the F<AUTHORS> file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release version 5.29.6 on 2018-12-20.
The next major stable release of Perl 5, version 30.0, should
appear in May 2019.

cheers,
Karen Etheridge
ether@cpan.org