develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2018

Re: What platforms should we remove support from?

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
November 10, 2018 18:33
Re: What platforms should we remove support from?
Message ID:
de021cb5-51ba-cd80-7070-04d83d2397a0@gmail.com

On 11/10/18 3:29 PM, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 07:08:32 -0600
> "Craig A. Berry" <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe Tru64 (formerly known as DEC OSF/1 or Digital UNIX)
>> officially was EOLed by HPE in 2012, but there are systems still in
>> use
> I don't think that really matters. If someone is fine with running
> unsupported version of an operating system, they should be fine with
> running older perl version. It's not like Perl 5.28 will suddenly stop
> working for them if we drop OSF support in 5.30.
>
> 5.28 will be considered "modern enough" for roughly a decade. For
> example the *latest* version of RHEL/CentOS ships with 5.16.3. I think
> it's the most popular server linux distribution, which means that 5.16.3
> is one of the most popular perl versions today. 5.28 is *much* newer
> than 5.16.
>
> The above is also the reason why I think there's no need for deprecation
> periods when we're dropping support for a platform.

I don't see a need for deprecation periods when dropping platform
support either. However, Craig raises a different point.

If it takes little to support it, and there is a reason to believe
someone *is* using it without letting us know, why drop it?

>> and there aren't really *that* many occurrences of __osf__ in the
>> C code or dec_osf in Perl code, so it doesn't strike me as that
>> intrusive a port.
> If there's more than zero #ifdefs in code, that's a good enough reason
> to get rid of it for me. Especially considering the fact that most of us
> don't have access to this platform and we have no way of knowing if our
> changes break anything on it.

I don't fully buy that. Development is not always a pretty process, and
support is even further from that ideal. Not being able to test this
platform is a consideration, but that alone should only be a deciding
factor if there is no reason to assume there are no users.

So I'll repeat Craig's question, because it seems to be valuable here:

What is the current cost of maintaining this support?