develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2018

Re: What platforms should we remove support from?

From:
Tomasz Konojacki
Date:
November 10, 2018 13:37
Re: What platforms should we remove support from?
Message ID:
20181110142957.2FBD.5C4F47F8@xenu.pl
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 07:08:32 -0600
"Craig A. Berry" <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe Tru64 (formerly known as DEC OSF/1 or Digital UNIX)
> officially was EOLed by HPE in 2012, but there are systems still in
> use

I don't think that really matters. If someone is fine with running
unsupported version of an operating system, they should be fine with
running older perl version. It's not like Perl 5.28 will suddenly stop
working for them if we drop OSF support in 5.30.

5.28 will be considered "modern enough" for roughly a decade. For
example the *latest* version of RHEL/CentOS ships with 5.16.3. I think
it's the most popular server linux distribution, which means that 5.16.3
is one of the most popular perl versions today. 5.28 is *much* newer
than 5.16.

The above is also the reason why I think there's no need for deprecation
periods when we're dropping support for a platform.

> and there aren't really *that* many occurrences of __osf__ in the
> C code or dec_osf in Perl code, so it doesn't strike me as that
> intrusive a port.

If there's more than zero #ifdefs in code, that's a good enough reason
to get rid of it for me. Especially considering the fact that most of us
don't have access to this platform and we have no way of knowing if our
changes break anything on it.