develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2018

Re: [perl #133638] The rendering of perlapi on metacpan

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
November 10, 2018 09:30
Re: [perl #133638] The rendering of perlapi on metacpan
Message ID:
f0a6d74c-34e9-eafa-beab-fd3eef2ecc5a@gmail.com

On 11/5/18 12:51 AM, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Nov 2018 20:33:07 GMT, maj-git@mail.fortinbras.us wrote:
>> This is a bug report for perl from maj-git@fortinbras.us,
>> generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.24.4.

>> The rendering of perlapi on metacpan
>>
>> https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/perl/autodoc.pl
>>
>> appears to be highly confused. There is a lot of plain code appearing
>> prior to the NAME section. No section appears describing the api calls
>> themselves.
>>
>> thanks
>>
> Confirmed.  This is a program internal to the Perl 5 core distribution which, strictly speaking, has no public documentation.  Because autodoc.pl generates files in .pod format, it has a long stretch of text in a heredoc which is in POD-like format.  That's probably confusing what metacpan.org does.
>
> Perl 5 Porters doesn't have any direct control over metacpan.org, so we'll have to discuss a solution with that site's maintainers.  I have opened this ticket:
>
> https://github.com/metacpan/metacpan-web/issues/2118

I have replied to that ticket with some questions.

I think we should resolve this on the Perl side. One suggestion is to
render the perlapi POD files during the release cycle and not
compilation, which I think makes sense. We could ship static POD files
for the API.