develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2018

Re: What platforms should we remove support from?

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
November 10, 2018 09:09
Re: What platforms should we remove support from?
Message ID:
02e3fbd4-8620-552c-c162-6f56269e21d9@gmail.com
Thank you for reviewing this, Karl!

+1 == drop support.

On 7/30/18 7:06 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> Top posted.
>
> Based on feedback so far, here is an updated list of potential
> candidates for removal:
>
> amigaos  current code to support this is broken and hard to maintain,
> hence a strong vote from LeonT to remove this

I wouldn't remove it. Considering the work done recently, it should be
working. While the way it works is less than desirable, it should still
stay.

Instead, we should address how the support is implemented. Leon gave
specific notes on the problem itself and I think this should be
addressed separately.

> apollo
> dec_osf
> dgux
> epoc Support already officially dropped; code still here to handle it
> is a relic

+1

> interix
> irix people still use perl on irix, though maybe not modern perls.  A
> box to test on is in the works.

Let's wait until we get a testing box and can reevaluate the situation.
If it already works, we're good. If not, is it considerable work to
support it?

> MacOS (classic)  Support already officially dropped; code still here
> to handle it is a relic

+1

> mint
> mpeix
> NetWare
> nto
> os2
> riscos
> sunos  (not solaris)
> symbian The platform is dead, and this port was just a toy
> unicos
> unicosmk
> uts
> uwin

+1

> vos  Stratus has patched this in the past few years, so khw thinks
> this should stay

Let's keep it.

> wince  The people who wanted to keep it have dropped their opposition,
> and it's probably currently broken

+1

> MSWin32 VC6 Has specialized code.  khw's feedback on this, is that I
> had to work around issues with this in 5.27, so some of that
> specialized code is very recent.   I could have used that time more
> productively, and think we should drop support for this.

I think it's time to let it go. Any die-hard fans disagree?