develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2018

Re: [perl #133588] Symbol for 'micro' is erroneously uppercased toGreek 'MU'.

From:
David Nicol
Date:
November 9, 2018 18:31
Re: [perl #133588] Symbol for 'micro' is erroneously uppercased toGreek 'MU'.
Message ID:
CAFwScO-ZLshZRDpYifYKMTLuL0X_sJ-QSnGLsPm3R5HUPLXOYQ@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 1:31 AM G.W. Haywood via perl5-porters <
perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018, karl williamson via RT wrote:
>
> > On 10/18/18 1:07 AM, Bo Lindbergh wrote:
> > Yes we are saying that we are obeying Unicode rules ...
>
> Understood.  We'll just have to live with the astonishment.

> >> The abbreviation of the micro- prefix is an ordinary lowercase Greek
> >> letter, just as the abbreviation of the milli- prefix is an ordinary
> >> lowercase Latin letter.  The duplicate encoding exists only for
> historical
> >> compatibility.
>
> And there's me thinking that the duplicate encoding was so you can use
> the one that's appropriate!
>
> > There are more similar cases, e.g. U+212A KELVIN SIGN.
>
> I suppose then I'd need to complain about what lc() does to it, but I
> haven't tried it... :)

http://www.unicode.org/faq/punctuation_symbols.html seems to indicate that
the punned symbols could be classified to behave differently in a future
revision of the standard, so using the symbol version will get the right
results in the face of case conversion (i.e., not be affected by it)  --
I'd sign that petition.

--
"I don't know about that, as it is outside of my area of expertise." --
competent specialized practitioners, all the time