develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2018

Re: What platforms should we remove support from?

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
November 5, 2018 05:17
Re: What platforms should we remove support from?
Message ID:
1222590a-cf24-baa4-1aae-d3db505a67e0@khwilliamson.com
On 11/4/18 9:22 AM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> On 7/30/18 1:51 AM, Steve Hay wrote:
>> On 29 July 2018 at 19:15, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com>
>> wrote:

>>> ok.  Comments welcome on these.
>>>
>>> I am of the opinion that we shouldn't remove stuff just because it's
>>> old and
>>> even disused.  As others said in the thread, only if it's causing us
>>> problems now should it be removed.  These problems could mean a bunch of
>>> specialized code for it, such as VC++6 has, or a bunch of open
>>> tickets that
>>> would require adding specialized code to fix.
>>>

>> Yes, VC6 has special code in handy.h, inline.h, numeric.c, perl.h and
>> util.h. There isn't very much to it, but based on past experience
>> there seems to be a greater chance of having future problems and
>> needing more special code like it in the future than there is with
>> later compilers. Right now I don't mind too much whether it stays or
>> goes, but we might regret not having ditched it the next time a
>> problem comes up...
>
> I'm thinking we should generate a compilation error if this is tried.
>>
>> However, I think WinCE should definitely go. The only vocal supporters
>> of it in the recent past have been Vadim and bulk88 and both have
>> indicated that they don't object to it going. Also, as I wrote in the
>> other thread that was cited above, I believe it's currently broken
>> anyway and has been for some time.
>
> I will prepare a patch

Actually, I think it should be done by somebody who actually understands
this