develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2018

Re: What platforms should we remove support from?

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
November 4, 2018 16:23
Re: What platforms should we remove support from?
Message ID:
0cd765b0-96b0-3823-d030-199620e39761@khwilliamson.com
On 7/30/18 1:51 AM, Steve Hay wrote:
> On 29 July 2018 at 19:15, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>> On 07/28/2018 06:16 PM, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:

>>> Recently there was some discussion about removing Windows CE support:
>>> https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2018/07/msg251510.html
>>>
>>> Also, it's not really a platform, but dropping Visual C++ 6 support is a
>>> recurring topic on this list, most recently in this ticket:
>>> https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=132766
>>>

>> ok.  Comments welcome on these.
>>
>> I am of the opinion that we shouldn't remove stuff just because it's old and
>> even disused.  As others said in the thread, only if it's causing us
>> problems now should it be removed.  These problems could mean a bunch of
>> specialized code for it, such as VC++6 has, or a bunch of open tickets that
>> would require adding specialized code to fix.
>>

> Yes, VC6 has special code in handy.h, inline.h, numeric.c, perl.h and
> util.h. There isn't very much to it, but based on past experience
> there seems to be a greater chance of having future problems and
> needing more special code like it in the future than there is with
> later compilers. Right now I don't mind too much whether it stays or
> goes, but we might regret not having ditched it the next time a
> problem comes up...

I'm thinking we should generate a compilation error if this is tried.

> However, I think WinCE should definitely go. The only vocal supporters
> of it in the recent past have been Vadim and bulk88 and both have
> indicated that they don't object to it going. Also, as I wrote in the
> other thread that was cited above, I believe it's currently broken
> anyway and has been for some time.

I will prepare a patch