develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2018

Re: What platforms should we remove support from?

From:
Aaron Crane
Date:
November 1, 2018 10:55
Re: What platforms should we remove support from?
Message ID:
CACmk_tvucboyUf9kqwMejC5N3-OrfV8Zc-YCprApMj-WfZENXQ@mail.gmail.com
Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:
> The port is suffering from a low degree of abstraction. This is most
> obvious in pp_system, which contains no less than 8 «ifdef
> __amigaos4__»s in one function. This is making editing it rather
> hazardous, even when doing nothing related to amiga.
>
> This sort of code needs to be extirpated from the base directory,
> either by moving it to amigaos4/, or by removing entirely. The former
> has been called for before, the latter is the only thing most of us
> know how to do.
>
> It also suffers from a lack of comments. It's process model appears to
> be causing a lot of complications without it being explained well.

+1 to this. pp_system() was already hard to follow before the amigaos
port landed, and those changes made it substantially more
impenetrable.

--
Aaron Crane