t/io/fs.t: code cleanup

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
October 29, 2018 22:12
Subject:
t/io/fs.t: code cleanup
Message ID:
12963926-a8f1-41cc-5115-6671b7a5a5ef@pobox.com
While examining https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=132663 today
and communicating with patch contributor Sevan Janiyan on #p5p, I had
occasion to examine the code in t/io/fs.t -- the test file under
discussion in that RT.

I found that test file hard to read -- which is not surprising given
that it has been around since 1987!  It has acquired a lot of variety in
indentation patterns; identical test descriptions for multiple tests; a
non-encapsulated subroutine; code commented out 16 years ago but never
deleted; etc.

The patches attached -- which can also be found in the
smoke-me/jkeenan/cleanup-t-io-fs branch -- perform code cleanup one
little step at a time.  I ran the test file after each commit to ensure
that the results would DWIM.  I would like to get the code in the file
cleaned up before applying the RT 132663 patch, so I plan to apply these
patches tomorrow unless someone has a serious objection.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan