[perl #133610] [RFC] feature sysio_bytes

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
October 26, 2018 14:08
Subject:
[perl #133610] [RFC] feature sysio_bytes
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-7088-1540562920-530.133610-15-0@perl.org
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 00:13:55 GMT, tonyc wrote:
> In [perl #125760] I suggested obsoleting sysread and syswrite on :utf8
> handles, and after some discussion on #p5p, also deprecated send and
> recv on :utf8 handles.
>
> With 5c0551aafb45d343b720500fd9560ffedd9607fa the deprecation was
> carried through and these operators now croak when used on a :utf8
> handle.
>
> So how can we get to a saner behaviour for these operators without
> silently changing the behaviour of existing code?
>
> The attached patches add a new feature that prevents these operators
> from croaking when used on a :utf8 handle, but also makes them work in
> bytes, rather then the sketchy way they did before.
>
> This feature is currently not part of any version feature bundles, but
> this could change.
>
> Tony

To facilitate evaluation of this feature request, I have placed the patches in this branch for smoke testing:

smoke-me/jkeenan/tonyc/133610-sysio-bytes

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---