[perl #133610] [RFC] feature sysio_bytes

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
October 23, 2018 00:14
Subject:
[perl #133610] [RFC] feature sysio_bytes
Message ID:
rt-4.0.24-3550-1540253635-1785.133610-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Tony Cook
# Please include the string:  [perl #133610]

In [perl #125760] I suggested obsoleting sysread and syswrite on :utf8
handles, and after some discussion on #p5p, also deprecated send and
recv on :utf8 handles.

With 5c0551aafb45d343b720500fd9560ffedd9607fa the deprecation was
carried through and these operators now croak when used on a :utf8
handle.

So how can we get to a saner behaviour for these operators without
silently changing the behaviour of existing code?

The attached patches add a new feature that prevents these operators
from croaking when used on a :utf8 handle, but also makes them work in
bytes, rather then the sketchy way they did before.

This feature is currently not part of any version feature bundles, but
this could change.

Tony