Re: [perl #133352] Ancient Regex Regression

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
October 21, 2018 03:58
Re: [perl #133352] Ancient Regex Regression
Message ID:
4cd7d599-6185-4886-3f24-17ec5c10fb43@khwilliamson.com
On 10/20/18 8:04 AM, demerphq wrote:

>     If the flags can't be used, I'm thinking that new regnode types make
>     sense here.  That way, the regex compiler could trigger the
>     save/restore functionality only when needed, provide the correct
>     paren floor and avoid increasing the size of compiled regexes that
>     don't need to restore captures like this.  It would take more work
>     to implement, of course, and use up a few of the unused 8-bit
>     regnode slots, but it seems like it might be the most effective way
>     to optimize this.  What do you and Yves think about this idea?

I don't know much about this particular code area, but I can say that we
have enough regnode slots available that we don't need to worry about
conserving them.

> I will try to find time to think about this but make no promises.
>

> Cheers
> Yves
>

>     Thanks again for taking the time to work on this bug.  (I hope I'm
>     not wasting too much of your time on the conversation!)
>
>     Deven
>

> Its not a waste of time at all,, it's just hard to find time to
> complement your efforts

And, it's good that you've learned about this code.  Perhaps you'll
consider tackling something else at some point.  And maybe you could
contribute some of the knowledge you've gain to commenting the source to
make it easier for others who come along later.